Pasta with Bolognese sauce is the perfect dinner for when you’re busy as it’s easy to make in bulk and freeze. I made this at the weekend in my slow cooker, and I froze it in portions for nights like tonight where I don’t want to spend ages cooking a meal as I’m super busy. This recipe can be done in either a slow cooker or a saucepan.
What you’ll need:
- 900 g minced beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g pancetta
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 beef OXO cubes
- 100 g sweetcorn
- 100 g peas
- 4 tbsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 500 g passata
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium high heat and add the onion
- Cook the onion until it has started to soften then add the mince and the OXO cubes. Crumble the OXO cubes over the meat and stir thoroughly until evenly distributed
- Add all the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat down to a low heat
- Leave to simmer for as long as you have time for. If you’re eager to try it, you can eat it as soon as all the ingredients are cooked through, but the flavour will improve the longer you can resist!
- Although traditionally served with pasta, Bolognese sauce is also great with rice! Top with grated parmesan
To make this in a slow cooker, add all of the ingredients to the pot together and cook on a medium heat for 6-8 h. In my opinion, this method produces the best flavours, but not everyone has a slow cooker. If you do, and also have night rate electricity, cook this over night to reduce your electricity bills!
- Add some kidney beans and chilli powder to turn this into a chilli con carne
- If you don’t fancy pasta or rice, Bolognese is great on a baked potato with some mature cheddar grated over the top
- If you simmer it for long enough that most of the liquid has evaporated, use the sauce as a filling for fajita wraps